Welcome to February’s Baking Blog. Each month will feature an in-season fruit or vegetable dish to make with a little bit of grow-your-own information on the side.
February is perfect for making Leek Muffins.
Have you ever wondered why Welsh fans carry inflatable leeks to Rugby or Football matches? Legend says Cadwaladr a 7th century King of Gwynedd once ordered his men to wear one into battle for identification purposes. But this tasty veg, is more versatile than identifying troops, rich in antioxidants Leeks are packed with vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B6, copper, iron, folate and vitamin C, as well as vitamin A vitamin E, calcium and omega-3 fatty acids. Leeks may be perfect for roasting, souping and frying, but they make surprisingly good cakes too.
Prep Time 5 -10 minutes . Oven Temp 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Cooking Time 25-30 minutes
Skills Level Easy Peasy.***
- Measuring Scales.
- Measuring Spoons.
- Wooden or silicon spoon.
- Measuring Jug.
- Cheese Grater.
- Vegetable Knife.
- Mixing Bowl.
- Bun Tray.
- Paper or silicon cases.
- Cooling Rack.
- 1 Leek.
- 1 Egg.
- 175g of Plain Flour.
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder.
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda.
- 100ml of Olive or vegetable oil.
- 50ml of Milk.
- 75g Cheddar Cheese.
- 2 -3 Teaspoons of Mixed Herbs.
- 1 -3 Teaspoon of Black Pepper.
- 1-3 Teaspoons of Turmeric.
- Preheat the oven.
- Grate the cheese.
- Line a bun tray with paper/silicone cases.
- Wash the Leek throughly to remove any soil from between the leaves then slice into thin circles, then slice these into thirds.
- Measure out the flour, baking powder, herbs and spices in the mix together in a bowl, then turn gently with a wooden/silicon spoon. (Note salt can be used if desired.)
- Pour the measured milk into a glass and beat the egg into it with the fork.
- Make a well in the flour add the milky eggs and required amount of oil.
- Quickly blend together for one minute.
- Next add the leeks and cheese. Continue stirring for two minutes until the mixture is of a stiff consistency.
- Use a filled teaspoon to drop the mixture into the cases.
- Place on middle shelf and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Go Welsh and serve with a bowl of Cawl.
Go Oriental and dip in a bowl of sweet chilli sauce or mango chutney.
Freeze for the summer and enjoy with an egg fried in plum tomatoes for lunch.
Grow Your Own.
Leeks are hungry plants, so add plenty of well rotted manure to your plot, or alternatively grow them in a deep container with fresh compost, adding a feed of Incredigrow. Start the seeds in late February or through March and April either in a single seed in cellular trays outdoors or direct in your soil. From May to July the plants can then be transferred to their final growing positions. To have a more blanched stem it is necessary to fork the soil around the stems as they grow, being careful not to get it between the leaves. Beware of the leek moth and leek rust – for more information on this you can always visit The RHS online guide How to grow Leeks.
*** Easy Peasy – Basic techniques/Suitable for Children with adult supervision/help.
Treat as Tender – Intermediate Skills required/Children may need more help with this.
Seasoned Kitchen Gardener – Confident Baker/Children might not be suited to this.