Sometimes our gardens can be slightly depressing and dull in winter, but why should our gardens suffer? You can create beautiful hanging basket displays for your garden this winter in 10 easy steps. Let our expert, Michael Perry (our Product Development Manager) guide you with his helpful video and top tips in creating your best winter hanging displays.
Michael’s Top Tips for Basket Success
1. Don’t cut corners with compost; always buy the best quality that you can afford.
2. Mix in Incredibloom® when planting, so your plants have all the ‘vitamins’ they need from the
3. You can put your basket straight outside too; no need to give your plants any under glass
4. Use our Easy Fill hanging basket to get a head start on your trailing growth; this amazing basket
even allows you to plant around the sides.
5. Don’t add water retaining gel to winter baskets – they could make things too soggy during winter rain and snow thaw.
6. Have some horticultural fleece to hand, ready to drape around your basket displays if we do get a
prolonged cold snap.
7. Check for watering needs regularly – cold winter winds can be as drying as hot summer sun!
8. Offer a top up feed as growth takes off in spring to ensure the longest life from your seasonal
9. Add one or two, evergreen winter-flowering/fruiting shrubs to your baskets for extra interest and
10. Check for watering needs regularly – cold winter winds can be as drying as hot summer sun!
Quick master class with Michael Perry
Terri works in the e-commerce marketing department assisting the busy web team. Terri manages our blog and social media pages here at Thompson & Morgan and is dedicated to providing useful advice to our gardeners. Terri is new to gardening and keen to develop her horticultural knowledge.
You can get really interesting baskets on Etsy. Vintage ones are good like wire baskets and buckets.
Hi Melody, many thanks for your comments, I think Etsy has some great ideas for baskets. The links show this, so thank you for sharing. Kind regards, Wendie
Fab-u-lous, do you sell these ace baskets because I WANT! 🙂
Are the baskets available? How much for the plastic hanging basket with the holes in it do they have the snap out pieces? What is the largest size and openings? Thank you
Hi Loretta, check out the listing page here : https://www.thompson-morgan.com/garden-supplies/planters-baskets-and-plant-supports/hanging-baskets-and-brackets/new-and-improved-easy-fill-hanging-basket/t73697TM
and it should give you all the information you need