Today we celebrate our 160th birthday! We began in a small garden behind a bakers shop in Ipswich, tended by William Thompson, the baker’s son. From the back garden we moved to a nursery at the edge of Ipswich and then to an even larger one!
We have now grown into one of the UK’s largest mail order seed & plant companies, providing gardeners with the very best quality products, tips and advice. You can read more about our humble beginnings here.
We wanted to know if there was an all time favourite Thompson & Morgan plant, so we took to facebook to find out! We had begonias, sweat peas, poppies and so many more! Who can blame them; we have so many varieties for you to choose from. But we would just like to share some of them with you.
- ‘French beans last year, had nearly 3 carries bags of 8 plants, and amazing flavour. I can’t wait to get these on again and some nice flowers to attract the bees would be amazing’ – Sam
- ‘Fuchsias all the colours there sooooo pretty xxx’ – Lisa
- ‘Difficult choice and it keeps changing but I think it has to be Alstromeira ‘Indian Summer’. And a very Happy 160th Birthday!’ – Annie
- ‘Sweet pea high scent’ – Karen
- ‘Favourite flower would be Antirrhinum ‘Madame Butterfly’ a prolific flowerer and so ‘bubbly’, my favourite vegetable would be Mange tout ‘Shiraz’ because it has a long season, pretty flowers and pods and lovely flavour’- Sue
- ‘I’ve only just started gardening and the plants u have of you are only just growing but I’m liking the hellebores at the mo’ – Paul
- ‘Any poppy variety. They just make me smile year after year’ – Ruth
Don’t forget to comment your favourite T&M plant below.
Since the first seed catalogue was published in 1855, Thompson & Morgan has grown to become one of the UK’s largest Mail Order Seed and Plant companies. Through the publication of our catalogues and the operation of our award-winning website, Thompson & Morgan is able to provide home gardeners with the very best quality products money can buy.