Pizza base ingredients
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tsp (heaped) golden caster sugar
- 400 g gluten-free bread flower
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp (heaped) xanthan gum
- Pre-heat your oven to 220C/200C fan
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion on a low heat with some salt for around 10 mins until softened. Add in the tomatoes, tomato purée and caster sugar and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered, for 30 mins until reduced and thick, making sure to stir regularly. Transfer to a blender or blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth. Taste and season as required and stir in the basil. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum in a mixing bowl. Pour in 250ml warm water and the olive oil into a well in the centre of the mixture. Quickly combine the ingredients to create a thick, paste-like dough. Add a small amount of warm water if the dough feels dry. Put the dough in a bowl, cover with cling film and put in the fridge for no more than 24 hours before using. Lightly flour two baking/pizza trays. Cut the dough into two pieces and flatten into thin rounds, roughly the size of a dinner plate. Add to the baking/pizza trays.
- Remove from the oven and serve
Since the first seed catalogue was published in 1855, Thompson & Morgan has grown to become one of the UK’s largest Mail Order Seed and Plant companies. Through the publication of our catalogues and the operation of our award-winning website, Thompson & Morgan is able to provide home gardeners with the very best quality products money can buy.