- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan.
- Start with the pastry: Add 175g flour, icing sugar and butter to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture looks breadcrumby. Add one egg and blend again until the mixture forms a ball.
- Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out the pastry. Divide the pastry into eight rounds which are slightly bigger than the tins. Pop the pastry rounds into the tins and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Prick the pastry bases with a fork, top with baking paper, fill with baking beans or rice and blind bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the baking beans and baking paper and return the bases to the oven for 5 minutes, until they have turned a golden-brown. Put to oneside to cool.
- Make the Crème pâtissière: Pour the milk and vanilla into a saucepan. Heat until it is about to boil. Remove from the heat.
- Add sugar, 25g flour and one egg to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Whisk in half the hot milk and continue whisking until smooth. Pour in the remaining milk.
- Put the mixture back into the saucepan and cook on a low heat, continuously stirring until thick.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge until cold. Once cool pour in the double cream, while whisking. Spoon the freshly made crème pâtissière into the tart cases and cool in the fridge.
- Time to make the glaze. Heat the jam in a saucepan with a tbsp of water and whisk togerther. Sieve into a small bowl.
Since the first seed catalogue was published in 1855, Thompson & Morgan has grown to become one of the UK’s largest Mail Order Seed and Plant companies. Through the publication of our catalogues and the operation of our award-winning website, Thompson & Morgan is able to provide home gardeners with the very best quality products money can buy.