Spicy butternut squash soup recipe
- Cut the butternut or squash into one inch chunks, removing the peel and seeds and any ‘stringy bits’. Peel and chop the garlic, onion, red pepper and fresh chilli.
- Put the oil into a saucepan on a medium heat and fry off the garlic, onions and red pepper (and fresh chilli if using) for a couple of minutes until the onion is soft but not coloured. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.
- Add the butternut squash and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Keep stirring throughout.
- Dissolve the stock cubes in the water and then add to the pan together with the milk, herbs, chilli (if using) and lemon juice. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is simmering. Put the lid on the saucepan and continue to cook for another 20 minutes until the butternut is soft.
- Remove from the heat and blend with a stick blender until smooth. If you prefer, you can leave it lumpy.
- Reheat the soup again gently but don't allow it to boil. Season to taste with black pepper.
Since the first seed catalogue was published in 1855, Thompson & Morgan has grown to become one of the UK’s largest Mail Order Seed and Plant companies. Through the publication of our catalogues and the operation of our award-winning website, Thompson & Morgan is able to provide home gardeners with the very best quality products money can buy.